Why do we need wellness? Wellness is the act of practicing healthy habits on a daily basis to attain better physical and mental health outcomes, so that instead of just surviving, you’re thriving. In understanding the difference between health and wellness, in short, health is a state of being, whereas wellness is the state of living a healthy lifestyle. Wellness aims to enhance wellbeing.
Now what is wellbeing? Wellbeing is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy.” However, it is important to realize that wellbeing is a much broader concept than moment-to-moment happiness. While it does include happiness, it also includes other things, such as how satisfied people are with their life a whole, their sense of purpose, and how in control they feel.
But we cannot reach any of those without being fit.
Fitness can be defined as ‘the ability to meet the demands of the environment’ or being able to carry out everyday activities with little fatigue.
Fitness relates to how physically demanding life is. You should stay active throughout all stages of your life regardless of your job, body type, or BMI. Children, adolescents, and adults of all ages need regular physical activity.
Understanding the benefits of physical fitness and knowing how active you should be can help you maintain good health, wellness and improve your overall quality of life.
Here are a few benefits of regular physical activity that demonstrate the importance of physical fitness.
People who are physically fit:
- Are more alert and productive. Which means they are quick to perceive and act.
- Have more energy, both physically and mentally. So they are less likely to feel tired and overwhelmed each day, it’s especially important with the busy lives that many people lead.
- Handle stress better. If someone is under a lot of emotional or mental strain, it can cause them to become ill. Such stress can cause ulcers, heart attacks, strokes, digestive problems and more. Working out regularly is one of the best ways to relax your body and mind.
- Sleep better. Those who exercise regularly sleep better at night and feel less sleepy during the day.
- Have better overall health. Regular exercise and physical activity promote strong muscles and bones. It improves respiratory, cardiovascular health, and overall health.
- Are less likely to get injured. Since regular exercise and physical activity increase muscle strength, bone density, flexibility, and stability, it can reduce your risk for and increase resilience to accidental injuries, especially as you get older.
- In other words, staying active is a crucial part of maintaining good health and wellness, which will lead to our wellbeing.Empower your wellbeing and reconnect with your best you!